Monday, April 28, 2008

Marikesh

Well, last week I went to Marikesh. I wanted to upload pictures with this post, but they are on Neil's Camera, and he's in California. It was pretty fun, a very bazar place to be, but it was fun. First, we took the 4 hour drive there Sunday morning. We got to the hotel, unpacked a tiny bit, then took a quick dip in the pool, which was freezing. Yes, I know it's a Sunday, but we were all on vacation, and, well, I think we kinda forgot it was Sunday anyways. After that, we went in the hotel, changed, and searched for a few english channels, they usually had Arabic subtitles in them. We cought the last half of "Coming to America", with Eddie Murphy, then we saw "Unbreakable", with Bruce Willis. Both very good movies. We got dinner after that, and it was okay. I'm not very used to Moroccan restuarants, let alone their dishes, but it was good. I had fish, but I liked the rice with shrimp and stuff alot better. The next day, we had breakfast downstairs, schecked out, and went to some lake. I forget the name, but it was big, square, and had fishes in it. We fed the fishes with bread that cost 1 dh. I have pics, but not with me. Then we went to this really cool garden, where they grow a bunch of herbs that I can't remember or can't pronounce, but they all smelled really good. After that, we went to the biggest attraction, "The Square", which isn't really a square, but oh well. The only thing I really like about that place was the freshly squeezed orange juice. It was delicious. There were about 15 more orange juice stands, doing the same thing, I don't know how they all stay in buisness. Then there were some snake charmers, but I knew snake were deaf. I learned that they drug them and make them dance. The snake charming music is so anoyying. They play it over, and over again. I also became an "alomst " victim to some dude who wanted to make money. There were people everywhere that wanted to sell you things, no matter where you went. Anyways, some guy comes up to me, starts speaking french, not sure what he was saying, other than he was begging or he was selling somehting. He put a snake around my head, put his cap on my head, expecting us to take a picture and pay him 200 dhs, which is about 18-20 bucks. Of course, Neil was telling him in French to stop, we don't want a picture, sorry, good bye, stuff like that, and the guy finally gave up. It would've been a stupid picture anyways, the snake around my neck was either drugged or dead. We got lunch, and had some fish pie thing, it was pretty tasty. We got some of this yummy ice cream after that. On the way home, we stopped at this little shop with a bunch of cool stuff, like fossils embeaded into plates, geods, candle holders, lots of stuff. I picked up some things for my family, he gave us a good price, since Neil was friends with the guy. In morocco, there really isn't a set price on anythihg, you can haggle, I haven't done it yet, since I don't know how to speak French pretty fluently, but I'm pretty sure it's fun. :)
In the car, me and Anna watched lots of MASH (which, by the way, we finnished the season the other day, great last episode), and we were home in no time.


Wish you were all here, but Morocco isn't big enough for everyone, unfortuatley. We should plan a trip to Rwanda...

No comments: